In Our Community:
- Between 2001 and 2008, 37 people were murdered as a result of domestic violence in our community.
- More than 16000 children in Idaho witness violence in their homes.
Last year in 2011, the WCA...
- Provided more than 9,400 safe bed nights.
- Handled 1,869 call on our crisis lines.
- Provided 2,347 counseling sessions.
- Provided 910 case management sessions to 172 clients.
- Assisted with 531 of the 624 protection orders filed in Ada County
According to the U.S. Department of Justice:
- Somewhere in America, a woman is sexually assaulted every 2 minutes.
- One of every four rapes take place in a public area or in a parking garage.
- 29% of female victims reported that the offender was a stranger.
- 68% of rapes occur between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- At least 45% of rapists were under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- In 47% of rapes, the victim sustained injuries other than rape injuries.
- 75% of female rape victims require medical care after the attack.
- One in two rape victims is under age 18; one in six is under age 12.
- While 9 out of 10 rape victims are women, men and boys are also victimized by this crime. In 1995, 32,130 males age 12 and older were victims of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault.
- About 81% of rape victims are white; 18% are black; 1% are of other races.
- Approximately 68% of rape victims knew their assailant (Violence against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics).
- The rate of sexual assault in the United States is the highest of any industrialized nation in the world.
- Twenty percent of adult women, 15 percent of college women, and 12 percent of adolescent girls have experienced sexual abuse and assault during their lifetime.
- Approximately 28% of victims are raped by husbands or boyfriends, 35% by acquaintances, and 5% by other relatives. (Violence against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics). Reported rape in Ada County rose 20% in 1999 (from 91 to 114).