Today is April 1, which marks the beginning of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). Normally, some of the WCA team would be in the midst of finalizing plans for many outreach events and wonderful fundraising efforts in partnership with community organizations – as we have done at this same time each year. However, these are challenging times for many as we learn to adjust to what is our new normal.
So, I want to invite you to join me in raising awareness using “virtual” means. Help us share information about sexual assault, the dangers of victim blaming and use this opportunity to remind your network of the free, confidential services offered by the WCA.
This week would have also marked our 27th annual Tribute to Women and Industry Awards. It would have brought together hundreds of community members, corporate supporters and many Forever TWIN honorees to honor the 48 extraordinary women—and one K-9—who make our community stronger. We also would have had the opportunity to share our mission, which is so vitally important in this moment.
Unfortunately, due to the worldwide health crisis, as with many others events and special gatherings —we were unable to gather to celebrate. However, we are looking to the future, and are excited to come together and celebrate our 2020 TWINs on Tuesday, September 1, at the Boise Centre. Thankfully, we were able to reschedule all the celebratory events and we are now fully focused on our mission at hand.
We know that domestic violence rates are rising globally and nationally and we are seeing evidence of that starting to reflect in the number of calls we are receiving.
- Please know that we have a team at the Crisis Center ready to assist those who need us
- With the closure of the Ada County Courthouse to the public this week, our Court Advocate team is assisting with civil protection order applications at our downtown office located at 720 W. Washington during our new office hours of 8:30 – 4 p.m.
- Our emergency and transitional shelters will continue to operate with trained client advocates there to support our residential clients
- Our hotlines are available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week for anyone to call from anywhere. Domestic Abuse Hotline 208-343-7025 / Sexual Assault Hotline 208-345-7273
- Our clinicians, case managers and other program staff are continuing to support clients through telephonic phone appointments
We Are Here.
While Sexual Assault Awareness Month only happens in April, we hope that you will join us in our year-round efforts to end sexual violence. Follow us on social media and visit our website to find out more about Denim Day, outreach and awareness and other ways to get involved with the WCA.
And please know: Each day, we are evaluating protocols and our current situation to determine how to best keep our staff and clients healthy, and to provide safety. I am completely committed to supporting the staff here at the WCA and we are all working around the clock to keep essential services available to those who need us, perhaps now more than ever.
Back to Blog >>