2020 was an impactful year
- WCA experienced a 57% increase in the total number of calls to our 24-hour hotlines and 84% increase in the number of calls related to domestic abuse.
- Our Client Advocates attended 1,374 full hearings—a 7% increase over 2019 and the majority of those were done virtually from the WCA.
- We had 19 emergency intakes into shelter–more than four times the number of that in 2019 and of similar years prior. This illustrates clearly that homes is not safe for all.
In the 2020-2021 Fiscal Year:
- Master-level Clinicians provided 2,031 counseling sessions for 122 adult and child clients.
- Client Advocates answered 3,338 calls to our two 24-hour hotlines.
- Women and children stayed in our shelter for a total of 11,001 safe bed nights — an average of 30 adults and children were on the waiting list each month.
- Case Managers held 1,435 case management sessions.
- 72 individuals participated in Financial Empowerment certification classes and workshops.
- 102 individuals participated in 59, two-day Financial Empowerment certification workshops, and165 adults and families participated in four community Financial Empowerment Education Outreach events.
Ada County Statistics
As reported by the Ada County Sheriff’s Office, Boise Police Department, Garden City Police Department and Meridian Police Department.
- There were 5,529 911 calls related to domestic abuse, sexual assault and child abuse in 2020 (Ada County Sheriff’s Office, 2021).
- In 2020, there were 4,004 calls for service related to domestic abuse including domestic battery report, domestic violence-threat, and domestic dispute (Ada County Sheriff’s Office, 2021).
- In 2020, there were 1,066 911 calls for service related to sexual assault, including lewd conduct, rape and sexual assault (Ada County Sheriff’s Office, 2021).
- There were 459 calls for service related to child abuse in Ada County in 2020 (Ada County Sheriff’s Office, 2021).
- On a single day in Idaho in 2020, 570 victims of domestic violence were served in one day.
- 217 adult and child victims found refuge in emergency shelters, transitional housing, or other housing provided by local domestic violence programs
- 353 adult and child victims received non-residential assistance and services, including counseling, legal advocacy, children’s support groups
- 114 Unmet Requests for Services in One Day: of which 79% (90) were for Housing and Emergency Shelter
- (National Network to End Domestic Violence (2020). 14th Annual Domestic Violence Counts Report. Washington, DC.
Retrieved from: NNEDV.org/DVCounts)
- In 2019 there were eight domestic violence-related fatalities in Idaho. As of September 15, 2020, there have been three intimate partner-related fatalities in Idaho. (Idaho Coalition Fact Sheet, 2020).
- In 2019, law enforcement agencies in Idaho received reports of 5,784 incidents of violence between spouses, ex-spouses, common-law spouses, and those in dating relationships.2 It is important to know that many survivors of domestic violence do not report to law enforcement for a wide range of reasons. (Idaho Coalition Fact Sheet, 2020).
- Every 13.8 hours someone is raped in Idaho (Crime in Idaho, 2019).
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 10 men experience contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner during their lifetime and/or had IPV- related impact (CDC, 2015)
- 1 in 9 girls and 1 in 53 boys under the age of 18 experience sexual abuse or assault at the hands of an adult. (RAINN, 2020) reported experiencing severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime (CDC, 2015)
- 10% of women and 2% of men report having been stalked by a partner (CDC, 2015)
- Nearly half of both women and men in the U.S. have experienced psychological aggression by an intimate partner in their lifetime (CDC, 2010).
- About 11 million women and 5 million men who reported experiencing contact sexual violence, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime said that they first experienced these forms of violence before the age of 18. (CDC, 2020)
- 26% of women and 15% of men who were victims of contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their life first experienced these or other forms of violence by that partner before age 18. (CDC, 2020)
- 1 in 3 adolescents in the United States is a victim of physical, sexual, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner (Love is Respect).
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18 years old (NSVRC).
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men will be raped in their lifetime (CDC 2010).
- 1 in 9 girls and 1 in 53 boys under the age of 18 experienced sexual abuse or assault at the hands of an adult. (RAINN, 2020)
- Someone is sexually assaulted in the U.S. every 73 seconds, every 9 minutes the victim is a child. (RAINN, 2019).
For More Information Visit:
Ada County — 2020 Calls for Service Report
Crime in Idaho 2019.pdf
Intimate Partner and Domestic Violence in Idaho 2009 – 2015 (Idaho State Police)
The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (CDC, 2015 Data Brief)
Idaho Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence 2020 Fact Sheet
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
The National Domestic Violence Hotline
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Intimate Partner Violence
National Sexual Violence Resource Center
Love Is Respect
Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN)
NNEDV: 14th Annual Domestic Violence Counts Census Report – Idaho (Idaho, 2020)
Preventing Intimate Partner Violence |Violence Prevention|Injury Center|CDC
Preventing Intimate Partner Violence (cdc.gov)
Preventing Teen Dating Violence (cdc.gov)
Children and Teens: Statistics | RAINN